Sunday, January 2, 2011

Have you written down your goals?

One of my best friends and I are working on what we are calling, "Do Lists".  These are things that was need to do in this lifetime and we're not limiting it to 2010 although there are some things marked "urgent".  These things we'd like to see happen much sooner than later.

I'm not one to tell people how to go about keeping the promises they've made to themselves but I do believe this one thing: if you are serious about reaching your goals, you must write them down.  In detail.  Very specifically.  

So it's not, "I want to get fit".  No!  It's I want to
-be able to touch my toes
-jump rope for 30 seconds without stopping
-do 5 push ups
-run a mile in 15 minutes

It's not, "I want to have more friends" . . . it's I want:
-companions to knit with
-someone to cook with
-a book club to join that suits me

I think (and experience confirms) that this is the most effective way to achieve your goals.  Post your specific goals in highly visible places.  Or not.  Tuck it away in a diary or a book and refer to it periodically.  It makes such a difference to see what you are aiming for and to imagine it/visualize it happening as if it were happening.

"With our thoughts we make the world," said the Buddha.  I'm all about finding out if he spoke the truth.  And I'm starting with my list.  

3 comments:

Neo.soul said...

I've been lurking on your blog for a lonnnnnnnnnnnnnng time, but this post really speaks to me and where I want to go for 2011 and beyond.

Best to you as you continue to build your best life ever.

The Original Wombman said...

I'm glad it spoke to you! My best to you too! Keep building!

liberationtheory said...

We me be on the same wave because I JUST completed the same thing but borrowed from the 101 in 1001 days. It has felt absolutely liberating and exciting to come up with the list, though it felt awkward to think about what *I* want.

Thanks for this post!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.