Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Can't wait to get started on my next knitting project

My first attempt at one of Ms. Zimmerman's patterns was baby leggings found in the Knitter's Almanac. I didn't like how that turned out at all and frogged it. I think I've come to terms with the kind of knitter/crocheter I am--I'm a pattern follower 95% of the time and an organic craftster 5% of the time. It's funny, though, because I rarely swatch so I guess I'm not the greatest pattern follower. After I've done a pattern a few times, I'm ready to branch out and embellish but the first few times, I follow to a tee. I'm good enough at the crafts to spot gross errors in patterns and correct them. So at least I'm not a mindless pattern follower. Ms. Zimmerman's patterns are just not detailed enough for me (I also have problems following Barbara Walker's instructions in Knitting from the Top). This may be because I can't really focus for long periods of time because I'm usually taking care of my babies and/or up at 4 o'clock in the morning trying to squeeze some "me time" out of a day. Or it may just be me. So I'm thinking of selling Knitter's Almanac and Knitting from the Top. I may keep my copy of the Knitter's Handy Book of Patterns but since I bought it eight months ago, I've used it exactly zero times. The patterns I find on the net and/or wing are enough to keep me busy.

My next project is going to be a sweater for Little Baby Boy. I borrowed The Opinionated Knitter by Elizabeth Zimmerman from the library. I'm going to be working on the famous Baby Surprise Jacket (BSJ). I've collected notes from everywhere, been reading the BSJ thread on the "Zimmermania" group in Ravelry and looking at tons of pictures. The pattern is really a work of genius and they say the beauty of the design lies both in the process (easy knit using increases and decreases) and in the finished product. Usually, it's one over the other. I decided to use only one color to make the jacket. It looks sophisticated and neat when done in one color. The yarn I'll be using is Cascade 220 in Hunter Green (#8893). I may use my left over charcoal gray to do a border. I'm still working on the hubby's summer hat but I hope to be finished by the end of next week so that's when I'll be starting the BSJ. I am so excited.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.