Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Just contemplating . . .

So I received a suggestion the other day to do a rebuilding process to my hair using a product called Aphogee. Aphogee is basically a protein treatment that restructures and strengthens the hair. I am yet to find any information on doing the treatment on locks but I was thinking I'd be willing to try it because what's the worst that could happen? The worst is already happening, namely, lots of breakage.

But while in the beauty store today, it struck me: growing locks is to me an affirmation of my commitment to doing things the natural way. Reading long lists of ingredients with paraben this and hyrdoxyl that . . . I'm not sure if I want to try to preserve my dreads using such unnatural stuff, lab-concocted stuff or "natural" ingredients 15 times removed from nature. I think I'd rather use my natural castile soaps and Aubrey Organic shampoos and conditioners, shea butter, jojoba and coconut oils and apple cider vinegar rinses and rock a neat, sweet short 'fro when the locks eventually break off. You know, natural. I am having a hard time imagining using all these chemicals to keep these locks. It's not what I want to do no matter how much I'd like to keep these dreads on my head.

I know very well that the hair growing from your head at the root should be the strongest hair on your head. I know very well that this is something internal. I know that there is something I am missing that is making my once strong, lustrous hair frail and prone to breakage.

My sistren reminded me of a holistic hairdresser out in Brooklyn who might be able to at least give me some feedback/direction on my hair. Actually, this loctician is the one who started my first set of locks (I consider them my first--the real first set was installed by a guy who used a whole bunch of black gel and gunk--I knew I wanted my locks to be pure and natural so I washed them out after one week). Anyway, I've been calling her and leaving messages but to no avail. Hopefully I hear back soon.

In some ways, I'm anxious for my locks to break off completely. Either that or miraculously become strong. How can I stop being so focused on them?

5 comments:

80sBaby70sSoul said...

Don't do the Aphogee crap. It has waaaaaaay too much stuff in it. If you really wanna try some all natural stuff you can go to discoverb4a.com They are 100% natural and organic I believe. So much so their products have a 60 day shelf life! I have the God Head thick nad rich shampoo and conditioner that I will try this weekend. The only problem is they are CRAZY expensive. I will let you know how it goes.

Oh and STAY AWAY from the catile soap. It strips all of the oil from your hair and I think it is the reason that my locks break at the roots. It makes your hair squeaky clean which is not healthy. But if you follow it up with a nice deep conditioner it might be ok.

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there!

You mentioned apple cider vinegar rinse...I had not heard of that and recently, I went to the hair salon and this lady poured vinegar in my hair after I had gotten a color treatment...

What was THAT all about?

Thanks for this information you are sharing!

Lisa

Chi-Chi said...

Yeah, I'm pretty much set against using the Aphogee. *Sigh* I'm going to look into discoverb4a.com. I don't mind expense to save the locks--I mean within reason. I've been calling the loctician daily and I haven't been able to get through. I want to set up an appt. asap.

Yes, girl, castile soap is quite harsh. I haven't used it on this set of locks at all but I find that even on the skin, it's got to be diluted at 1 part soap to 4 or 5 parts water. I really like Aubrey shampoo and conditioners. Leaves my hair really soft. Wish it left it strong.

80sBaby70sSoul said...

Have you tried the Aubrey Organics blue green algae deep conditioner. I hear that is really good for a protein treatment and hair strengthener. You have to order it online though. I will try that after I use up the deep conditioner that I have now. http://www.aubrey-organics.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=00190

I also need some tips on styling and managing short hair for when I do my big chop in January. I saw a woman in the mall yesterday and she had about an inch of hair. It was in tight little curls and slicked down a little on the sides. Her head was just as small as mine so I know it would look nice on me too. I just need to figure out how to get that style with all natural products!

Oh, and her makeup was FLAWLESS. I will have to stop by the MAC counter and get a make over and then figure out how to replicate that look with natural makeup too! Oh the joys of living all naturally!

P.S. Sorry about Yendys being such a flake. She lost her mom last Christmas and has been holding up her family. Hopefully she will get back to you soon.

Chi-Chi said...

Hey Lisa! ACV rinses are just a general thing that some hair care folks use to balance the pH of the scalp (like toner) or to strip the hair (like in preparation for a protein treatment or to get rid of lint or other excess buildup). Many people say it leaves their locks feeling light and soft. It keeps my scalp from being itchy and scabby. I guess it kills some stuff and that's why.

Hey N . . . No, I just bout some Aubrey Organics GPS shampoo and conditioner the other day at whole foods. That is protein based. I was going to give that a shot and see what happens.

I have a small head too and everyone (except me) thinks I look great with short hair. If you find out how to do that style I'd love to know because as far as I know, it requires some kind of gel (and not aloe . . .I've tried--not cute at all)!

I ain't never been one about makeup but if I do use makeup, MAC it is. They make excellent quality stuff. I'd love to see how you look when you do get your makeover. There's a great blog about makeup--the blogger is a MAC user I think exclusively. If I find it, I'll send you the link.

I saw one flyy natural in the grocery store the other day. It took all I had not to stalk her around the store. She had about 5-7 inches of hair unstretched. It was shiny, lustrous, just beautiful.

Yeah, about Yendys . . . sorry to hear about her mom. I really hope she gets back to me soon. I *almost* cut it today but I said let me wait another week and see if she calls back.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.