Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Quinoa


Quinoa is an ancient grain that I became very interested in when I learned that it is a pretty complete protein source. It's also a great source of fiber, magnesium and iron. Since I'm always trying to make sure that our diet is complete, varied and interesting, I love to use quinoa in different ways. Quinoa can pretty much replace rice in every dish. You can make pilafs with it for a quick easy meal. It also makes a pretty delicious breakfast porridge. You can get quinoa at any health food store but I've found it for the best price in the bulk bins at Whole Foods.

To use quinoa, you must first rinse the grain off very well. It has a bitter coating that makes it pretty much inedible so you've got to get that off. I like to prepare quinoa right in my rice cooker. Since quinoa is pretty bland on it's own, I like to add things to it to bring out the flavor.

Recipe


1 cup quinoa, well rinsed
2 cups water+ 2 tsp. vegetable broth powder or
2 cups vegetable broth
1/2 one red onion, diced finely
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 tbsp. Earth Balance buttery spread

Turn the rice cooker on and let it do its thing. Serve as an accompaniment to black bean soup or any other dish that you would serve with rice.

If you want to make porridge with the quinoa, prepare it in the rice cooker but don't add any spices. Once it's cooked, add milk (I use rice, hemp or almond milk), sweetener (I like maple syrup), nuts (crushed almonds work nicely), vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. You can reduce the sweetener and add dried fruits like cranberries, raisins, or dried apples.

Quinoa is a fabulous addition to any cook's repertoire of healthy whole grains.

6 comments:

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there!

This looks SOOOO good!

MMMMM....

(smiles)
Lisa

Lionesse said...

Thought you were rethinking use of Earth Balance? (grin) Thanks for the details on quinoa... will try out the recipe too!

Chi-Chi said...

I am!!! I'm yet to try the recipe with olive oil or some other oil yet so I just posted the recipe the way I've been doing it. I really love Earth Balance though!!! LoL.

Chi-Chi said...

Thanks Lisa!! It is good. :)

blackgirlinmaine said...

I may have to give quinoa a 2nd chance, I made it once before but it came out so-so. This looks delish. What is that you have on top in that picture? I can't figure out what type of beans those are.

Chi-Chi said...

Those are black beans. I just saute some onion and garlic, add green peppers and carrots with a little cumin, thyme and red pepper flakes, and cook that with black beans. Black beans complement the quinoa really well.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.