Monday, September 15, 2008

Today's Green Smoothie

Yesterday I went to the market and decided to branch out from the kale and spinach that I've been using exclusively to make my green smoothies. I bought some red Swiss chard and also some dandelion greens (in addition to my regular greens). This morning, I used the Swiss chard for the smoothie and it was delicious. Here's the recipe.

One ripe mango, peeled and flesh taken off the seed
1 cup pure water
Juice of one lemon
One bunch Swiss chard
2 bananas

Blend in Vitamix till smooth. It was quite good.

There are two schools of thought when it comes to these green smoothies. One school says it's best to have a larger percentage of greens than fruit. The other school, of course, says the opposite. I don't know what school I belong to yet but I really enjoy fruity green smoothies although I don't mind the slight bitterness of really green ones.

3 comments:

Kristen's Raw said...

I love making my green smoothies both ways, just depends on my mood and feeling.

I ask myself... am I needing extra minerals from the greens? If so, I load up :)

Or, do I care for something light and sweet and bright? If so, I opt for more fruit :)

Cheers!
Kristen

80sBaby70sSoul said...

Nutritionally, it is better to eat fruit all by itself. Anything else in the system will disrupt the absorbtion of the vitamins and minerals from the fruit. That being said, there is NO way that I would EVER dring a green anything without an apple or lemon to chase it down. But that's just me!

Slendarella said...

I do most of my green smoothies all veggie - but will sometimes throw in a banana....or squeeze in a lime.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.