Thursday, October 30, 2008

Spontaneous Pumpkin Pie

I didn't plan on making pumpkin pie today.

Today, at Z1's organized playgroup, they were handing out free pumpkins. Since the one we got at the farm is still hard as rock, I decided to hack it up and roast it so that Z1 could stop harassing me about eating some pumpkin. Well, he's hardly interested in the pumpkin now that it's cut and roasted (actually he told me that it was "nasty) so I decided to make a pumpkin pie.

This is the first time I'd ever tried roasting pumpkin for a pie (although I've roasted other squashes) and I can't say that it's something I'll keep doing. I mean, it's not hard exactly but I don't like pumpkins enough to go through the trouble (it's a lot of clean up: the pan, the skins, the seeds--lots and lost of seeds, the food processor).

So from one pumpkin, it seems I have enough to fill two shallow pie dishes or one large one. I think I'll go for the large one. Right now, the pumpkin pie filling is in the food processor (I made it the same way I make sweet potato pie since I didn't feel like hunting for a recipe). After nursing Z2 (which I'm doing while I type this), I'll change his diaper, put in the mei tai and get to making the crust.

Pictures and recipe coming.

Edited at 9:50 PM. Okay, I lied. There will be no picture. I don't feel like fiddling with the camera. There may be a recipe but I don't feel like going to the kitchen to get my recipe binder right now.

(My scalp is on straight fire. I want to rip it off. )

But in any case, the pumpkin pie came out fabulously. Z1 loved it and asked for more. It wasn't as firm as I would have liked it but it tasted soooo good.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.