Saturday, November 1, 2008

Suddenly Struck Me

This morning I was doing my 5.5.5 (which is more like 15.15.15 or 30.30.30 since I've been going to bed at the same time as the boys and getting up at 5:30AM). So in the post So What Connects Us? I was trying to sort out what connects Black people aside from the color of our skin (oh, and thanks to all who commented especially OG--good food for thought). I had concluded that nothing tangible does. That has been bothering me and occupying a lot of my mindspace for the past few days because even when I meet Black people whose views and/or experiences are the total opposite of mine, I still somehow feel connected in some way. I wanted to make sure that I wasn't imagining things, feeling something that really is not there! There's something there (even though I might really prefer to hang out with someone White who I can tangibly connect with).

So anyway, I was reading a book about Chakras (actually, The Book of Chakras by Ambika Wauters--review forthcoming)and there was an exercise there that asked me to rub my hands together and then hold them apart. I could feel the energy. It suddenly struck me . . . it's energy that holds us together. Like how my little Z2 automatically recognizes that another baby is a baby. How dogs know and (generally speaking) like to be around other dogs. Like knows like or like they say in the streets, "Game recognize game". I can go to a group for Black SAHMs and not really have all that much in common with everyone aside from being Black and and a SAHM. But I really enjoy being with the "sistas". It's a familiarity. A comfort. And something you can't quite pinpoint. And a good (valid) reason to stay a part of that group even if I also decide I'd like to join another, more racially mixed group of mothers who share my parenting styles, ideals, or life-situation.

So while I've completely gotten rid of the delusion that Blackness automatically confers some kind of tangible connection, i.e. that I should be able to find at least one thing I can connect with a Black person on aside from our Blackness, I'm happy to have realized that indeed, the energy of being Black, whether you like it or not, is indeed one heck of a strong connection.

:)

3 comments:

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there Chi-Chi,

What I usually find TRULY connects me with persons is a love for Jesus Christ.

If we do not have a spiritual foundation in common then it seems that the connection isn't AS DEEP...but that's just me.

As for feeling a connection with ALL black people, well, in this country, we are just TOOOO DIVERSE (when you look at the differences in socioeconomic classes among blacks). I know that it seems that blacks are viewed as a monolithic group by many persons in countries in Africa and throughout the world even...but we are a very diverse group in this country.

Thanks for mentioning this! I appreciate the book recommendation!

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Miriam said...

HI Chi-chi! I saw your post at black woman blow the trumpet. I only know one Igbo family in Israel, so I'm happy to meet you!

Looking forward to reading your blog.

Chi-Chi said...

Hey Rev. Lisa. Thanks for dropping on by! :) I agree: shared faith is a huge (and very strong) connection. You said: "I know that it seems that blacks are viewed as a monolithic group by many persons in countries in Africa and throughout the world even...but we are a very diverse group in this country." Absolutely.

Hi Miriam!! Glad you found my blog. I'm going to be checking yours out too!!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.