Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Confessions of an Economic Hitman

I am having a heck of a time enjoying or even getting into this book. It sounds like it's written by someone who deeply regrets everything he's ever done in his life. It sounds contrived, basically like he's making stuff up as he goes along. It reads like a fictional spy novel instead of the truth. And honestly, for me, it doesn't present any information that I didn't already know either by reading or just by observing.

He is also trying to say the common American citizen is basically responsible for this country's greed and avarice. Uh, no sir. That is the lie that most folks in foreign countries think as well. The common American citizen is as much at the mercy of the "corporatocracy" and the government as third world countries are. This country, however, is "wealthy" and so everyone who is here benefits. Poverty here in the U.S. looks very different than poverty in Nigeria. But in this economic crisis, we are coming to see that the wealth of the common man and woman was never real in the first place. Furthermore, what would be the first step that the average citizen would take to dismantle the corporatocracy? Maybe as I get to the end of the book he'll have some suggestions.

But maybe I'm jumping the gun with my assessment. I just read the part about a "beautiful [Indonesian] English major" who predicted to the author that the next object of U.S. conquest would be the Muslim world. Oooo-kay.

3 comments:

Ensayn1 said...

Chi-Chi, Actually when I read the book it appeared on the surface like he regretted what he had done, but for me by the time I finished the book it seemed as though he really didn't regret his actions but was making it appear like he did. Also, the book should be read by people that have no idea how wicked the U.S. and her partners have been and are being to smaller nations.

Chi-Chi said...

I agree . . .it's a great lesson in America's imperialist wickedness especially to those who have no clue.

Interesting, yeah, I am questioning seriously how genuine he is.

DeStouet said...

Now I have to read it.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.