Sunday, December 7, 2008

A Little Hat

I first learned to crochet for the specific purpose of making hats. Crocheting hats is quite enjoyable to me and I think allows me to be very creative. I rarely follow patterns for crocheting hats but I saw this one on one of my boards and I had all I needed to do it so I decided to give it a whirl. And I'm so happy I did. This was a very quick and easy project with, I think, really stunning results. A similar hat that was knit would have taken me double the time but I was able to finish in a couple of days. Had I focused, I would have been able to finish it in one night. Anyway, I can't wait to make this one again especially since last time I went to the store to get gloves, I saw similar ones for $6 and $7.

Here is the free pattern I used. The only change I made was on line 10, namely I didn't increase. Initially, I had followed the pattern verbatim but that increase to 80 stitches made the hat decidedly too big and I have a pretty small head. Staying at 64 stitches was perfect especially since the stitch pattern is very stretchy (who said crochet doesn't give?).

I used yarn I got for free at my local needlework circle. It is called Plymouth Encore and the colorway is Black. I used about half of the skein which means that I could probably get another one of these hats with the remaining yarn. I achieved gauge using the the J hook for the body and the H hook for the brim (the hooks which the pattern called for).

Anyway, it was a fun and quick project which got me back into crocheting. I just borrowed Confessions of an Economic Hit Man for the 35th time. Hopefully I can finish it this time. Oh boy, trying to find a minute to do the things I like to do is such a huge challenge!! Even as I write this, I'm hurrying up because the hubby has to be at work by 8. Whew!!

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.