Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History


I didn't get the time yesterday to blog about Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. I wanted to do the post justice. But I'm taken by the significance of yesterday (MLK Day) and today (Obama's Inauguration). This picture says so much (and also leaves a lot unsaid). As a mother, I'm especially moved by the inclusion of Emmett Till and those Four Little Girls in this picture. I pray, hoping against all odds and all history that we are well on our way to equality and justice for all.

My favorite quote from Dr. King (and the one that's under my picture in my high school year book):

The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands in times of challenge and controversy.

I am working every day to be that kind of person, a person of character. And I'm working too to raise men who stand.

2 comments:

Kofi Bofah said...

This is a very powerful picture.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

I agree.

I don't take the stance that Obama's presidency is as a result of all the things Black folks have been through in this country. I know some do. But it does make me think (and get angry) about all that Black people have been through, all the violence, brutality and then finally in 2009, finally, because the hand was forced, because Bush's presidency was such a disaster, a man of Color is in Office. I think all those folks in the picture would have a healthy skepticism of what this presidency actually means but I think they would agree that maybe, just maybe, Black people will finally be seen as equals and that justice will finally be for all.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.