Friday, February 27, 2009

Let them eat cake . . .

. . . Ginger Macadamia Coconut Carrot Cake, that is.

For a while now, I haven't really been experimenting with new recipes that call for things that I wouldn't ordinarily use like macadamias. But I got the urge to make this interesting sounding cake that I'd seen the recipe for in Isa Chandra Moskowitz's Vegan with a Vengeance. I borrowed it again from the library and was going to make a copy of the recipe. I turned to where it should have been only to find the page had been ripped out. In fact, multiple pages were gone. I was livid and disappointed at the selfishness and thoughtlessness of people. I was also bummed that I didn't have the recipe! But thanks to Google, I found it (and linked it above).

The cake almost never happened. Especially since at Trader Joe's I had to start putting things back after they were rung up since the tally was almost double what I had to spend. The macadamia nuts (and my guilty pleasure Trader Joe's Green Tea Mints) almost didn't make it home. In any case, I managed to do some decent pantry building and bought these two unnecassaries.

We really enjoyed the cake (I halved the recipe--I wasn't trying to use a whole half-cup maple syrup on some cake and we don't need that much cake anyway). I was afraid that it might just be too much "stuff" thrown in there but it was flavorful and delicious. A nice twist on carrot cake. I hand grated the carrots as per the suggestion of The Barefoot Contessa who said that shredding in the food processor makes the carrots, and consequently the cake, too wet. She's right. I only had to grate about 2 carrots, chopped a 1/2 cup macadamias and 1/8 cup candied ginger, tossed everything in the mixer and then 45 minutes, the cake was done.

A nice one to try although I don't think it's going to be one of my go-to cakes. I already have pretty solid carrot cake recipes (one that uses coconut and one that does not). It was fun to try a new dessert after such a long while.

1 comment:

Squrrl said...

Man, that sounds yummy...

Just got around to noticing that you commented on my blog. Thank you!

You asked for a rec on where to buy seed. A little Google magic found this: http://carletongarden.blogspot.com/2009/02/more-seeds-in-mail.html That covers most of the ones I can vouch for. I'm going with the "buy from your region" theory this year and got most of my seed from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange (http://www.southernexposure.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT) this year because they're in the next state and supposed to be a trustworthy business. Maybe this will be the year my garden's actually worth a d@mn.

Hope that helps!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.