Friday, February 27, 2009

Writing Another Story

So about two weeks ago, I finally mailed off my first story manuscript to a chidren's (young reader's) magazine. That story was a re-telling of a story my father told me as a child about how the tortoise came to have a bumpy shell. Remember, I wanted to publish it as a book, but a similiar book has already been published. My re-telling is almost completely different but I'm not sure that I could get it published as a book. Getting it published in a magazine, it seems, would be a good first step. I should know in about 6 months whether they want to publish the story. I am visualizing holding the letter that says they are thrilled to publish it. I am visualizing writing a blog post to let everyone know that they can pick up an issue. I am visualizing introducing myself as a published writer. Yet, I also know I need to send the manuscript out to more publishers. And I will. Honestly, it is just difficult to find the time to seek out publishers who would be interested in the story. A friend helped me compile a list of three or four more so I know I should at least send it out to those places.

Anyway, last night as I was getting ready to go to sleep, another story came to me and I started writing it then and there in my mind. I'm very interested in stories that depict the lives of pre-colonial Igbo people, that imagine what life would have been like. Since our history and traditions are mainly oral (not written), these true stories have been lost to a large extent and so to me, it's fun and interesting to imagine, knowing the bits and pieces that I know, what the world looked like. How it felt to live in those times. I'm really interested in all kinds of stories that involve and/or are about Igbo people in history or right now.

This morning when I woke up, the story was like a pot boiling over so I've taken the last hour to pour off some of the liquid, so to speak. I've been typing and typing and now, I have one and a quarter page single spaced--chapter one. I know the general direction the story will take next but for now, I'm going to go exercise.

I'm also going into the city to get acupuncture today at the recommendation of one of my best friends who is in school to become a naturopathic doctor. I'm reservedly excited and cautiously hopeful.

The name of this new story is "The Oracle's Girl".

Photo Credit: "Teal Typewriter" by Amanda Woodward on Flickr

5 comments:

Revvy Rev said...

What great subject matter, the pre-colonial lives of Igbo people. I wish you much success.

DeStouet said...

Looks like you have returned the favor and inspired me to pick up my pen and paper again.

thank you.

Just Me said...

I look forward to hearing more about your store. Oh, do you really type it out on the typewriter? Very cool

Miriam said...

This is exciting! For a while I've been wanting to write but haven't had enough zeal to do it. I have a story blog but that's it.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Revvy Rev, thanks!

DeStouet . . . I'm glad I could inspire you!!

Just Me, no girl, I don't type on a typewriter! But I love the idea of it.

Miriam, a story blog is a great place to start. I hope you catch the spirit of writing . . . once you gain momentum, it keeps flowing!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.