Friday, March 6, 2009

New Things . . .

I find one of the best things about life is discovering and doing new things. So here, on the tail end of winter, it's nice to have some new things I'm doing.

New Thing 1: Knitting Socks
I've been knitting for a while now but this is the first time I've ever tried to knit socks. I'm using a pattern from Knitty called Monkey using Regia Silk sock yarn (a really nice yarn to work with) and they are turning out quite lovely. I think sock knitting could become addictive! Sock knitting is a small but functional project with some many possible variations. If I was focused completely on it, I don't doubt I could finish a pair in a week

New Thing 2: Sprouting seeds for the Garden
The seeds for the garden arrived yesterday. We bought seeds for tomatoes, peppers, carrots, kale, onions and chickpeas. Hopefully we'll spend Sunday sprouting the seeds that need to be started indoors. I think the last time I sprouted seeds I was in kindergarten so this counts as a new thing as far as I'm concerned.

New Thing 3: Yoga for Urban Living by Hemalaya Behl
Previewed the DVD and thought it would be a great one to have. I bought it on Amazon.com marketplace for a steal. Unfortunately, the copy I was sent is scratched so I couldn't really get through the routine earlier this week when I tried. The seller, however, seemed more than willing to send me a new one. I really like this particular yoga DVD--the set, the instructor and I'm hoping to have the new DVD here soon.

New Thing 4: Books I'm reading
I'm actually reading two books concurrently: Brick Lane by Monica Ali and World Made by Hand by James Howard Kunstler. Of course, when I'm done I'll review both but I will say this, neither book is that great.

New Thing 5: Chocolate Chocolate Chip Macadamia Cookies
Okay, I recognize that I am in ultra baking mode. It's winter. I'm in the house a lot. I love to bake. I love to eat what I bake. What can I say? I had the macadamia nuts just waiting to be used (okay, they could have waited longer) but I decided I wanted something chocolately. I used this recipe for the cookies but I substituted nuts for half the chocolate chips and used almond extract in addition to vanilla. I baked them for 12 minutes and they've not quite chewy (I like a cookie that's well done though). They're really good although Z1 won't touch them because they've got nuts in them. Oh well, he doesn't really need sugar anyway.

---------------------------------------
Saturday is Z1's godbrother's birthday party. It's at a Chuck E. Cheeses type place and I know I'd be hard pressed to find anything wholesome and nutritious for him there. I'll probably bake a few chocolate cupcakes for him to take. I have to figure out what good finger foods to bring along for him. If I get a chance today, I'll get on my message board and search for "vegan party food for kids" or something like that.
----------------------------------------
Right now, I'm procrastinating about working out because I just don't feel like it. I kind of wish it were a yoga day . . . I don't have to drag myself to do yoga. But I know I need cardio too especially if I'm to lose this weight. So . . . I'm going, I'm going.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.