Tuesday, September 29, 2009

One Fine Sauce

Recently I've come to realize that a great sauce really does make a great meal. So I've been making some of the sauces that are most popular in my household in bulk, i.e. enough to fill a large mason jar (which I scored a ton of on Freecycle last year). Some examples of sauces that I make large quantities of are gingery stir-fry sauces, sweet and sour sauces, pizza sauces, brown sauces, curry sauces and barbeque sauces. These sauces are highly acidic, either containing tomatoes or some kind of vinegar (white vinegar, rice wine or red wine vinegar), or lemon juice so they keep very well tightly lidded in the refrigerator for weeks.

How is making lots of sauce at one time helpful? Well, it actually makes it easy to throw together quick meals that don't take that much forethought, time or planning.

Tonight's dinner was made with the last 1/3rd jar of barbeque sauce I had on hand. The recipe I use for my barbeque sauce is based loosely on Louise Hagler's recipe in Tofu Cookery. I made oven-barbequed tofu using the method in Veganomican, which is the method I'll be using from now on. This morning I took the tofu out of the freezer to let it defrost and when it was time to get started, I made sure to prepare the tofu by pressing out as much water as I could (by wrapping the tofu brick in my specially designated tofu pressing towel and placing my heaviest cast iron cookware on top for fifteen minutes).

The dish turned out fabulously! On the side was roasted red potatoes (just a little olive oil, Mrs. Dash seasoning, sea salt and black pepper) and some lightly steamed broccoli.
We enjoyed out dinner very much tonight and I enjoyed the fact that I wasn't in the kitchen slaving away for hours. I think this is my most handy homemaking tricks (aside from letting doughs rise overnight for freshly baked breads in the morning).

4 comments:

As I Cee It said...

Peace and Blessings
I just recently purchased Veganomicon b.u.t have yet to use any of recipes... after seeing this pic i will be hooking it up this weekend.... you blog is great! thanks

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Thanks!

I really need to purchase V-con . . . I haven't been disappointed with any recipe yet! I keep borrowing it from the library but i think, I think, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and buy. There's a pound cake in there I'm itching to make.

Would love to hear how your dish turns out this weekend!

NaturalgurlAZ said...

I have V-con and there are only a couple of recipes that I have tried and liked. I just tried to work with tofu today and I just can't get it right :( I will have to look at their method in the book because you made that tofu look delish!

navelgazingbajan said...

That dish looks delish.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.