Sunday, November 21, 2010

Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Soup

On a whim, I decided to pick up a butternut squash at last week's grocery shopping trip.  We didn't grow up eating squash and I really haven't done much with squash in terms of cooking.  But squashes are everywhere now so I thought I might give it a go.  

Initially, I was going to find a recipe online but I decided to be a bit more experimental plus I didn't want to be bothered..  Here's what I did:

Ingredients

  • Small butternut Squash (mine was about 2 lbs.)
  • 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
  • half of a large onion
  • 4 cloves garlic
  • salt, pepper, dried thyme, cinnamon, brown sugar
  • water or vegetable broth, 3 cups


Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.  Cut the squash length-wise and use a spoon to remove the seeds.  Cut the squash into 1-2" cubes.  Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and place the cubed squash on it.  Pour one tablespoon of oil on the squash, adding a dash of salt and black pepper.  Use your hands to massage the oil and spices onto the squash.  Roast in the oven for about 45-55 minutes, until you can see that the squash has browned nicely (not burnt).  

At about 35 minutes into the roasting, add the other tablespoon of olive oil to a medium sauce pan and turn on the heat to medium.  Chop the onion and mince the garlic.  Toss the chopped onion into the hot oil.  Add 1/4 tsp each of cinnamon, dried thyme and brown sugar to the sizzling onions.  Cook for 3-4 minutes until the spices are fragrant and then add the minced garlic.  Cook for another minute or so being careful not to burn the garlic.  Once things start to stick a little,   add your 3 cups of water or vegetable broth.  By now, you squash should be ready.  

Pour the contents of your pot into your blender.  Add the roasted squash.  Blend.  Taste.  Adjust seasoning.  Pour contents of blender back into pot and warm (if you like hot soup).

Makes 4 servings.  

I thought this was very tasty and really autumn-esque.  I went heavy on the olive oil but you could cut it a bit and get good results, I'm sure.  As the recipe is written, each serving is 4 Weight Watchers points.  Considering that there's no real protein in this dish, I'd say that's a lot of points.  But it's oh so good.  And I need to put on weight.  :)

1 comment:

navelgazingbajan said...

Yum! I love butternut squash soup. I like to add roasted sweet potato as well.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.