Wednesday, November 24, 2010

What could it be?

So I've been conscientiously eating gluten-free for the past 2 weeks and I have not been feeling the slightest bit better.  In fact, I've been feeling worse.  Not to gross folks out but I've been running to the bathroom and my stomach is rumbling.  Painfully at that.

I realized that I must be eating something that is just totally not agreeing with me.  The culprit is supposed to be wheat but I'm not eating wheat.  What could it be?

I had purchased some gluten-free baking mixes a while back when they were on sale.  I also decided to make a small batch of my own gluten-free mix.  I used these mixes in some muffins and tried pancakes (which were horrid).  The muffins came out okay so I started to think that the muffins might be a great breakfast option.  I'd been trying various gluten-free breads for breakfast.  But I was feeling more and more horrible.  I kept thinking that everything I read says it may take some weeks or months to start feeling an improvement and I was just trying to hold on to that magical day that I'd feel better.

But I was getting worse.  So today I decided to skip gluten-free bread with breakfast and ate regular, old sprouted wheat bread.  I then made a cup of strong ginger tea.  And I feel so much better already.  It's amazing.

I'm still pretty sure I don't do well on wheat but I can't have these gluten-free things at all.  I believe it's the xanthan gum that is added to bind things (the way gluten would) that I am reacting too.  It seems like, indeed, some people can't tolerate xanthan gum.  Initially, I thought, it can't be xanthan gum which is in the soy ice cream I get.  But then again, I don't eat soy ice cream every day and I don't eat a lot of it.  I've never had as much xanthan gum as I've had in the last two weeks in my whole life.  It's quite possible I'm intolerant to it.  

So I researched a little and it seems guar gum is a suitable alternative but truth be told, none of these gums sound natural or like anything I want to eat anyway.  I think I'd rather risk having one slice of sprouted grain bread (I'll make sure to purchase multi-grain as opposed to straight wheat) every so often (2-3 times a week) than have any of these crazy gums and additives. At least I can recognize all the ingredients.

In my heart of hearts, I want my diet to be clean and natural.  I want to eat things I can make on my own from easily obtained ingredients.  I don't want my eating to be a science experiment.  

At this point, honestly, I don't really want to eat at all.  It's kind of a scary endeavor.  Eating makes me feel sick and I don't even know what I should or shouldn't be eating.  And no one really has any answers for me.  Super frustrating.  

I'm supposed to make sweet potato pie tomorrow.  (((sigh)))

Anyway, for now, no products with xanthan gum.  I definitely have to get good with other  other normal (not science experiment) starches.  This is even more difficult that going vegan.   

2 comments:

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

Might be detox. Give it more time.

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Revolutionary Concept to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 12-23 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.