Monday, May 5, 2008

And it was good . . .


Well, I cooked the jerk seitan and coconut rice from Vegan with a Vengeance. It was good. I wasn't wowed but it was a nice dish. It really just made me miss the authentic flavor of jerk chicken. Nonetheless, my hubby loved it. My baby boy, on the other hand, only wanted rice. He didn't eat very well today at all so tomorrow I'm going to have to try to make that up. The chocolate chip cookies I made didn't last long enough for me to take a picture (despite the fact that they got burned). I'm not sure if the recipe is the chocolate cookie recipe I've been looking for since they were burned so I'll have to try it again.

The motor for soy milk maker we bought seems to have died. I called customer service and they suggested that maybe it was because the head of the maker got wet and that if I let it dry well, it'll probably work again. That's a possibility but I really think the almond milk is serving us well. Also, I would really prefer a juicer and I could use the money to buy one. The juicer I'm eying is the Omega 8005. I want a masticating juicer because I really want the pulp to be dry (so as not to waste expensive organic produce--although admittedly recently, I haven't been buying much organic produce). I've heard really good things about this juicer and, as an added bonus, I found this. It's soy milk made using the Omega juicer. It's a bit more labor intensive than using the soy milk maker but with my limited kitchen space, I need multitasking appliances.

My good friend who makes TruButter gave me a 4 oz. jar of body butter (Spanishtown scent) as an early Mother's Day gift. It smells divine and is so soft and smooth. I can't wait to wash my hair next just so I can rub this stuff into my hair and scalp. I'm thinking of buying a jar for my mother who could benefit from shea butter but who hates the way shea butter smells and feels. TruButter is completely different than the raw shea butter she's probably accustomed to. But it's hard buying gifts for my mother. Well, actually, it's an exercise in futility. But, nonetheless, I fantasize that one day I'll give her something that she'll love and cherish.

You know what my late night indulgence has been of late? Kaffree Roma Roasted Grain Beverage with two tsp. sugar and some almond milk alongside Whole Foods brand animal cookies. It reminds me of when I was a child and I used to drink Lipton tea with 'nuff white sugar and evaporated milk and butter cookies which my mom called "biscuits". Very comforting. And delicious.

No comments:

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.