Thursday, May 8, 2008

I need to make a change . . .

Supposedly, I'm a vegetarian. But I eat very few veggies. And most of the food I eat is cooked. I know I need to eat more vegetables and I know I need to eat them in their raw state. This will energize me and make me feel more alive. Right now, feel sluggish and always tired. I know the tiredness could be from the fact that I don't sleep more than 2 or 3 hours at a stretch since I am exclusively breastfeeding but eating better would help, I'm sure of it. I used to be really good about having a green smoothie everyday but lately, I've lapsed. I can go a whole week without ever eating live greens and my toddler does better than I do at eating fruits. I'm totally preoccupied with taking care of kids and the house and trying to squeeze out a couple of minutes to knit and read . . . I feel it. Sluggish. I've made many drastic changes in my life. I'm hesitant to make a drastic change like eating only raw foods *but* I can start by challenging myself to drink at least one green smoothie a day. I'm also challenging myself to get into juicing--I've got at least three books on the subject.

So, I'm excited about getting a good juicer although currently I'm trying to decide which I need more: a juicer or a good water filter. I might have to bite the bullet and get both (especially since I'm making our nut milk here at home). I've done the research on the juicer and know what I want to get. As for the water filter, I'm utterly confused. I want something that will filter out fluoride and chlorine (can you believe I actually smell the chlorine in our bath water?). It looks like I will need a reverse osmosis system. I don't want water that's completely mineral-free though because I know we need some of those trace minerals. Like I said, I'm confused.

Being healthy and well is not cheap. But you can't put a price on being healthy and well.

4 comments:

Twinkle Twinkle said...

I'm a vegetarian as well, and I reaallly want a juicer too! It's a great and tasty way to get a lot of fruits and veggies in, and I love smoothies. Too bad fresh (organic) produce cost so much. Being healthy is expensive... Love the blog btw!

Chi-Chi said...

Hi!! I love your blog too!

It is a shame organic produce is so costly these days. I'm looking forward to summer and farmer's markets. Being healthy is expensive. I have to keep reminding myself that you can't really put a price on health. Yeah, every I go grocery shopping, that is my mantra because at times, it gets ridiculous. :)

Thanks for commenting!!

Ms. Diddy said...

i'm not vegetarian, but my goal for the next few years is to be MOSTLY vegetarian and incorporating fresh veggies and fruits in my diet. my eating habits are so poor right now (lol broke college students don't usually have the best diets and it's sad because i live at home). i used to supplement what i ate with amazing grass green superfood, but i ran out and my body is DEFINITELY missing it.

what do you suggest the least expensive ways to at least start a vegetarian diet?

Chi-Chi said...

Hi Ms. Diddy! Thanks for visiting my blog!!!

I think the least expensive ways to be vegetarian are to stay away from a lot of the mock meats and stuff (gimme lean and all that). Buy regular tofu (Trader Joe's if you have one nearby sells it for $1.19 a cube) or tempeh. If you have a Whole Foods close by, you can get organic beans from the bulk bins for a decent price and you can also get rice, couscous and quinoa. As you get further into vegetarianism, you might want to experiment with making seitan and/or your own tofu. If you drink soy milk, think about getting a soy milk maker. It will save you LOTS because it takes a 1/2 cup of soybeans (about 25c) to make a quart of soymilk. Or you might want to make raw almond milk (google it and you should come up with some recipes). Basically, keep it simple and fresh. The green smoothie can get a little costly but it's really a great way to get your fruits and veggies. You can ask at the local grocery store for "damaged" fruits and veggies. They are not spoiled they just don't look picture perfect.

Good for you for making the change! :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.