Saturday, May 10, 2008

Kindred by Octavia Butler

I haven't read much of Ms. Butler's work since high school. She is brilliant. I'm reading Kindred right now and, oh my word, she is brilliant. I remember when I learned Ms. Butler was a Black woman, my first thought was, "I didn't know Black people wrote Science Fiction!" I was only 15 at the time and hadn't even read The Color Purple. I went to parochial school for all my life, save one or two years, and, it would seem, literature written by Black people didn't exist in those schools. But goodness, she is brilliant. And I remember that that was my initial reaction when I first read her work even way back then when my mind was still in the compliant, good schoolgirl, "don't think too hard or ask too many questions" fog I was conditioned to be in: she's brilliant. A genius. I am awed by her work. She inspires me in a way that I can't describe. Like . . . that fire inside me, that deep-down feeling about the book I will write, it becomes stronger and more pronounced when I read each and every word she has penned.

She is a great writer. I hope to be a great writer.

Kindred is a book I highly recommend. I'm about halfway done.

2 comments:

simeon0715 said...

I LOVe, LUV, LoVe this book. I read it when I first came to NY. I was living in the Bronx with three "artist" types...we were broke...had no tv...no radio. So all we did was read and reason (that was actually a pretty cool couple of months)...anywho, that's how I was introduced to Ms. Butler

The book is a MUST read!

Oneness
Keisha

PS...I'm lovin your blog :-)

Bientôt Maman said...

I have read ALL of Octavia Butler's books! I love her! I am just sad that she is passed on and that there will be no new innovations of her genius. :(

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.