Friday, November 21, 2008

For the Love of Music!

I like what I've seen on some folks blogs, you know, a weekly, recurring "event" like "Lurker Thursday" over at Diary of an Anxious Black Woman and "Monday's Meal" over at My Little Slice of Pie or "Wordless Wednesday" at various blogs I've run into.

Well, through the miracle of YouTube, I've been able to find some fantastic music. I've grown to enjoy many different kinds of music and I want to share with anyone who might stumble upon my blog. I'm going to start out with Igbo music because I think that has been the greatest thing I've found on YouTube. I'm not sure what day this "musical event" will occur but it seems that since I finally got around to it on Friday, I'll stick with that. Now to think of a clever name.

So here it is, the first installment of [insert clever name here]: "Agam Adi Ndu" by Paul Nwokocha


I love this song. Calming. Peaceful. And so powerful. It basically says that "human beings predict or say all these negative things about me and what will become of me but it is only what God says that is true--what God says I will be, is what I will be."

I'm becoming more and more motivated to reconnect my children to my family back home in Nigeria. It's not in the budget or in any way convenient but . . . songs like this make me feel nostalgic and remind me how important it is to go back to the root.

3 comments:

blackwomenblowthetrumpet.blogspot.com said...

Hey there Chi-Chi!

This is great!

There is an "Old School Friday" group online that posts music videos each week with different themes!

Regina's Family Seasons is a participant.

It's great that you are going to connect your children to their Nigerian roots! As I mentioned at my blog, there is so much negative information about Africans that is presented in this country to the American people.

I was at a blog recently and a foreigner mentioned that she feels that she does not have the SAME privileges as an American in this country since she is always conscious that she is not American here. I had no idea that any person would feel a sense of "otherness" being an African person in America.

Peace, blessings and DUNAMIS!
Lisa

Just Me said...

Wow! I really like that. Wish I knew what he was saying though, lol. Oh and the women are so incredibly beautiful. Thanks for sharing that

Chi-Chi said...

Oh yeah, Lisa, even though I was born in this country, growing up I had that distinct sense of being "other" and worked hard to be included and accepted. I was the child who wanted turkey, candied yams and cranberry sauce on Thanksgiving but whose mother made moi-moi, fu-fu and bitterleaf soup! :) I remember an incident in kindergarten where I was asked to spell something starting with the letter "H" and I pronounced it like "Haych" which is how my mother says it (like a Brit). I was so embarrassed when the teacher scolded me and said it is "Aych" and till this day, I'm conscious of how I pronounce my "H"! :)

Just Me . . . you know, my favorite thing about traveling to Nigeria is being able to be in the warm sun all the time. It brings out a natural glow and it seems everyone is just radiantly beautiful there.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.