Sunday, February 14, 2010

Whipped Deodorant Butter

I've been using my homemade deodorant butter for over a year now and I love it.  Usually to make it I melt down the shea butter and mix in the other ingredients then let it harden in the fridge.  This works okay but usually the ingredients are not evenly distributed throughout the butter and it's hard.  The last time I made it, I decided that I would use a different method:  my stand mixer.  I got the idea when I was researching curly hair pudding.  [I (briefly--very briefly) thought about growing out my hair. ] So to make the stuff (and I was quadrupling the recipe), I dumped in softened shea butter and started the mixer up (using the whisk attachment).  I then added in all the rest of the ingredients one by one--just as if I were making frosting for a cake.  I let the machine run on high for about 5 minutes and the result was the fluffiest deodorant butter ever.  Everything was evenly distributed and it was light as air.  The clean up was a little intense and required lots of soap and hot water but the product was well worth it.

I wish I had a good picture to show you but I don't.  But here's a site that shows exactly what it looked like.  I'm so pleased with stuff!!

4 comments:

Nashe' said...

The magic of Shea butter. thanks for sharing ! I love it and use it all the time !

The Original Wombman said...

Me too . . . God bless the day I found shea butter! :)

Contentedly Crunchy said...

I saved the link to this when you left it on my blog. I am loving my deodorant *except* that I have to keep it in the fridge :-( I couldn't travel with it in the summer, and ended up having to use Tom's of Maine and apply it several times a day or STINK.

Do you need to refrigerate this stuff?

MrsLMT said...

I use a recipe that is equal pars cocnut oil and shea butter with a bit of cornstarch and baking soda, and a few drops of essential oil. i melt it down, use my immersion blender (FYI the cheaper ones work best) and put in a recycled cream jar, it can get a little runny, but dries quickly when on, can travel with it in cream jar because the lid fits tightly..and keeps me stink free, which as a massage therapist is very important to keeping my clients lol

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.