Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Update on my gluten testing

I just came back from the gastroenterologist and like I suspected, the tests showed nothing (except that my hematocrit is 11.8 which is ever so slightly anemic but I was menstruating when I took the test so I'm not that worried).  So the doctor wants to put me on antacids.  I am not really getting the connection but he claims that with IBS (which is what he thinks I have), sometimes too much acid in the stomach is what it is.  But I'm almost totally sure this has nothing to do with my stomach and much more to do with my intestines and I'm not trying to trade in one problem for the other nor am I willing to be on antacids indefinitely.  He could go in and do a biopsy but it's kind of involved so he doesn't want to go that route just yet.  He also said it could just be that the nerves along my digestive tract are just overly sensitive so that I perceive what's going on in there more intensely.  My bloated belly tells me, though, that this is not the case.  He also wants to send me for more blood testing (to check on what's causing the anemia). 

I don't know.  I find it hard to have confidence in doctors.  They seem to know about as much as I do about what's going on with me. 

So I don't think I'm going on the antacids or going back to the doctor.  I'm putting myself on a gluten-reduced diet (I figure if it didn't show up that I'm not allergic but sensitive). We'll see.  For the few weeks that I did eat gluten-free, I did not feel better.  Some sources say it may actually take up to a year to feel better so . . .

The next time I go grocery shopping, I'm going to buy the ingredients to make this gluten-free flour mixture.  One mom from a playgroup I recently joined shared it with me and while she's new to gluten-free living, she says she's been able to use this flour in place of unbleached white flour in all of the recipes she has tried so far.

Recipe for 12 cups of flour

5 c brown rice flour
3 c sorghum flour
2 2/3 c cornstarch (but i use arrowroot)
1 c potato starch (but i use tapioca starch/flour)
1/4 c + 4 t potato flour
1 T + 1 t xanthum gum

I think this recipe come from Artisanal Gluten-Free Cooking.  She also recommended Bake Deliciously as another great cookbook that teaches about substitutions and variations.

2 comments:

Serenity Love Sincere Peace Earth said...

Gluten free living is difficult if you approach it from the premise that you will replace flour with other flour. It's hard and expensive. Just avoid flour all together. Gluten free isn't new. These replacements are.

Why not try some slippery elm? It helped me a lot. I have a grass sensitivity. Wheat is grass. for many years I just avoided wheat products. You get used to it. And the slippery elm coats your digestive tract while you are healing.

I may eat some wheat here and there. But I got to the point where I can control whats going on.

You wanna build some more? SLSPEarth@gmail.com


Peace

Blogger said...

New Diet Taps into Pioneering Idea to Help Dieters Get Rid Of 20 Pounds within Just 21 Days!

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.