Saturday, November 29, 2008

Sure you've heard by now . . .

Of the Wal-mart worker trampled to death by "overly-enthusiastic" bargain hunters.

Okay, here's a warning. I'm pissed off and concerned about a lot of things in my personal life so I'm much more easily affected by the horror of this whole thing.

When I heard this news, let me tell you, I was angered to my very core. How is it that Americans are so out of control with greed that they don't even value the life of another human being? What kind of sick, twisted addiction/illness allows you, a supposedly sane person, to step on someone like they are a piece of trash? Shoot, you avoid stepping on trash, don't you . . . how could you treat a person like as if they are worth less than trash?

Look, I'm not the most optimistic person in the world. My husband sometimes says that I don't have enough hope. But it is extremely difficult for me to have hope in humanity when things like this go on. I'm tired of reading about terrorist bombings, genocides and war, baby formula poisoning. When will human beings LIVE UP TO the great potential that the Creator has blessed us with?

I cannot believe it. I just cannot believe that someone was killed over a "good deal". Are you people idiots? Don't you know that if they are charging you $50, they probably only paid $10 and the manufacturer probably paid some poor child in India $0.25 for it? That sale you were willing to kill someone over, where you pay $40 or $35 still gives the merchant a serious profit. Does this merchant do anything in your community? Help your child in any way? What? Giving $0.02 for every dollar when they are making trillions of dollars is not anything to brag about. And what about all the negative environmental impacts the production of all this crap makes?

When you were trampling that HUMAN BEING, did you think?

That's somebody's child. Somebody's lover. Somebody's friend.

Oh, I'm heated and disgusted.

There is enough suffering and pain in this world that we who have more, who are blessed can find ways to lessen that pain, lessen that suffering not do foolish, heartless things to add to it.

My heart goes out to the family of that Wal-mart worker. I pray they find comfort somehow.

8 comments:

Ensayn1 said...

Hey Chi-Chi, I was beyond heated, my heart fell. I often wonder about the human condition. I believe we are really dealing with a sick society, a mentally ill society, something is very wrong. People care little for human life. I would like to know how many of these people spit verbal fire against the young thug that kills an innocent person minding their own business. I wonder how many are in church every Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday evening. I wonder if people that act this way can truly be classified as human beings? I love your site.

blackgirlinmaine said...

Well you know I blogged about this on Friday but I am still shocked at how callous and heartless the folks at that Wal-Mart were. I know I should not be surprised at their behavior but at a time of year that is supposed to be about so many positive things regardless of one's faith tradition and I am shocked that we have reduced it down to simply consuming stuff.

I am the sum of my parts said...

I'm pissed and hone let me tell you that you have captured my animosity for these, dare I say "people"!!! I don"t understand it! I just don't! I'm sickened... physically sickened Chi-Chi, every time I hear ANYTHING about this story. All I keep thinking about is the lack of humanity... Do they even know his name... Jdimytai Damour's!!!! He had a name, a life. He was indeed someone's child, someone's future, someone's memories. I am so pissed. I don't understand... That's all i keep saying, "I don't understand!"

Chi-Chi said...

Ensayn1, yes, it is indeed a mental ill society we're dealing with here. I don't think we can apply normal rules/ideas to a society so sick. BTW, thanks for visiting my blog. I am slowly reading through yours and I really enjoy it.

BGiM,you said it ... the whole season boils down to "stuff". I was so annoyed that the Christmas decorations were up weeks before Thanksgiving. Wow.

Amoi, me too sis. Every time I think about it I just can't make sense of it. Thank you for speaking his name, for honoring him in that way.

DeStouet said...

to be honest, I am NOT surprised one bit by the nonsense. when i first read the story, and the way the customers reacted after they were asked to leave, I shook my head because it will only get worse.

Angie-Nuvision said...

Yes, this tragedy was so unnecessary. My heart goes out to the victims family.
Blessings,
Angie

Miriam said...

I hope this is a wake up call to put an end to this greed that's gone over the top.

Just Me said...

I was deeply saddened by this too. I mean what was so important to rush into Wally's and disregard a human and then when you see he's fallen, just step over him. I too pray for the family and for all those who are so driven by consumerism that they would behave in such a manner.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.