Thursday, February 5, 2009

I Found Them!

. . . A gardening method and a workout DVD that are everything I've been looking for!!

First gardening: I've been reading different books trying to figure out which gardening method/layout would work best for our garden. We don't have lots of space for the garden because we'd still like to keep most of the backyard free for the kids to play. The problem with a lot of these gardening books (including one I foolishly bought and I am thinking of returning) is that the methods require a lot of of room. So I was absolutely thrilled to come across Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew. Just as I was about to order the book from Amazon, I did a quick Google search and found all these links:

Square Foot Gardening official site
Link 1
Link 2
Link 3
Link 4
Link 5

These links along with the book borrowed fairly easily from the library will get us off to a great (and frugal) start. We had originally cleared land all the way in the back of the yard but the method requires as much sunlight as possible which means we will be doing the gardening very close to the house. I know exactly where. We'll re-seed the clearing we made in the back with grass or figure out what to do with it.

Anyway, this method is very simple to do and boasts that it is not labor intensive at all. The investment in terms of supplies and tools to build the boxes is minimal and what I've come to understand from reading different gardening books is that raised beds are a superior way to garden. With this method, there's no digging in the ground so there's less chance of me encountering a snake. I am so excited. The next task is to find a seed supplier.

Secondly, the workout DVD: I just finished Level 1 of Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred and it was fabulous. There are three levels on this DVD, that is, three workouts of different intensities. Each one is 20 minutes long and consists of
- one two-minute warm-up
- three 6 minute circuits (3 minutes strength, 2 minutes cardio, 1 minute abs) and
- one 2 minute cool down.

I worked hard. The routine is extremely varied which means you don't get bored or tired of the same move. And since that was Level 1 I did today, I am pleased that it leaves me room to grow and challenge myself. And while I absolutely hate jumping jacks ( a major part of the cardio circuit), with my Enell bra, at least they are not painful to do. I was also very pleased to realize that the ab workouts on Level 1 did not really challenge me since they are very similar to the one on my Crunch Yoga DVD. I am almost sure I will purchase this one.

1 comment:

Raet said...

Square Foot Gradening

Oh wow, I would love to do this. My back your is cement. I had a neighbor who brought some lumber and planted an evergreen in front of my house, however he moved. I need to find someone who is good with wood.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.