Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Just Tea!

Having tea is a fond memory from my childhood when my mother and siblings would drink Lipton tea. We'd have ours with evaporated milk and lots of white sugar. She'd have hers with honey and lemon. Tea was comforting to me, giving a warm full feeling in the belly on a cold day but also as a way to connect with my mother.

As an adult, I thoroughly enjoy drinking tea and have a cup nearly every day. The key to a good cup of tea I believe is that it should be 100% natural. That means, all the flavorings are real. No "natural flavors" or anything like that. Real tea leaves. Real flavors.

There are a number of teas that fit the bill. There's Numi Teas and my favorites from that company are Golden Chai Assam Black Tea and Red Mellow Bush Rooibos (rooibos is technically not a tea). Tazo Chai fits the bill too and is also quite tasty. You can find Numi of Tazo Teas at any health food store or in the "natural section" of your local grocery store.

What I really want to share with you, though, is a gem of tea company called Not Just Tea. At the annual African Street Festival in Brooklyn, we came upon a beautifully display of all sorts of teas. We were able to have a sample of those teas which handblended by a wonderful and warm sister, the owner Jennifer Jackson. We were totally convinced. Her teas are of superior quality, uniquely blended and delicious. And I love that when I buy from her, I'm supporting a sista, supporting Black business. My favorite tea from Not Just Tea is Peppermint Patty and let me tell you, it is the absolute bomb. You can buy all kinds of tea making supplies on her site too if messing with loose teas is not your thing (you know I just use a good old Pyrex measuring cup and strainer to make my tea especially after one too many tea infuser mishaps). The owner has a few retail partners so if you live close to any of those locations, you should absolutely drop by and give her teas a try. If not, don't hesitate to place an order. Delivery is quick and for any tea lover, her teas make a nice gift.

Anyway, I'm sitting here watching the snow fall and enjoying a cup of peppermint patty. While I love my tea, I still can't wait till summer.

Photo credit: "After the Tea Party" by Soaleha on Flickr

2 comments:

Raet said...

I am sipping on some Black tea right now. Working from home because of the snow. I adore tea too. I want to save up some money and get a nice tea set. I am kinda corny I guess. But, I wold love to have tea party with a nice tea set. Me and my mother used to have them as a child with my miniature tea sets with real tea.

Chi-Chi, The Original Wombman said...

Raet, that's not corny at all sis! Everytime I go to the thrift store I hope to find a lovely tea set there. I think a nice tea set would definitely add to the tea experience. It's so cool that you have a fond tea memory with your mother too. :)

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.