Sunday, February 1, 2009

Night Weaning

Z2 is now 13 months old and his mama is ready to get a full night of interrupted sleep. Depending on how well he naps during the day, he generally gets up three to four times a night to nurse. I, of course, haven't minded the sacrifice because I know in the grand scheme of things, it's really a very short period of time but I'm so ready to wake up feeling refreshed and well-rested. Z2 was night-weaned at about this age when I realized I couldn't function at work without at least five hours of continuous sleep. To night wean Z1, I slept in a different room for 2 weeks. The hubby's job was to pat, rock, basically do whatever it took to get Z1 to go back to sleep without nursing. I would make sure he had plenty to eat before bed and I got very serious about his daytime naps. In about two weeks, I was able to return to the bed and everyone slept much better. It was a challenge, though, because Z1 was not trying to give up night nursing without a fight. I suspect it will be the same with Z2. But I'm ready. In the back of my mind I know that this is one step away from babyhood but it's one step toward a different phase of our lives. He can't stay a baby forever and I'm looking forward to being able to do more personally and with them. Night weaning will allow me to shift my schedule around: stay up a little later at night and sleep a little later in the morning or keep my schedule and just have more energy to do more. So I may give him a few more weeks but then, Z2, your time is up! :)

Now most folks I know quit nursing eons ago and so I'm sometimes hesitant to admit that I'm still nursing. A lot. You know, weird looks and all that. But I'm very grateful and proud that our nursing relationship (Z2 and I) has been pretty much flawless. If you know me, you know I always say, Breastfed Babies are the Best Fed Babies. And I don't make any apologies for that. For my children, I wouldn't have it any other way and I'm very glad that I haven't had to. I enjoy nursing and Z2 definitely does too. I've enjoyed very healthy, glowing children who kick illness quickly and easily. Z1 got his first ear infection well after his second birthday, after he was weaned when I was pregnant with Z2. I have a personal testimony (well) about breastfeeding.

Most of Z2's sustenance continues to come from breastmilk and will come from breastmilk for quite a bit while longer. But this phase is drawing to a close. And I'm a little relieved, a little sad, and a little excited. All at the same time.

2 comments:

MacDaddy said...

Good information.

Kristen's Raw said...

I think the fact that you're still breast feeding is BRILLIANT!!! Good for you!!!!!

Cheers,
Kristen

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by Copyscape
I hope you enjoy my musings that I share with you here on my blog. If you would like to use any written content on my blog, please ask and/or reference my blog correctly. Thank you.